This spicy strawberry basil margarita recipe is an exciting take on the classic margarita. With basil simple syrup and strawberries in the mix, it creates a dreamily sweet margarita, with Casamigos tequila as our preferred base. We love to add just a touch of jalapeño slices to the top to add just a touch of spiciness and round the whole flavor profile out.
Tips for a Better Margarita:
- Substitute the basil simple syrup for jalapeño simple syrup if you want to kick up the heat! You can also go half basil/half jalapeño to taste both flavors.
- Avoid cheap tequila. Trust us — you’ll be able to taste the difference. Casamigos tequila is our favorite for optimal flavor, but you can use an tequila that you trust.
- Try a few times to get that perfect balance. Everyone has a different idea of what the perfect balance of flavors is. You might need to try to mix your margarita several times to discover your perfect fit.
- Use big solid ice cubes. Typical freezer ice cubes do the trick perfectly. Avoid hollow or crushed ice — they melt faster and dilute your margarita.
- Don’t pass on the salt. There are some cocktails that you can pass up on garnishes and extras on. This margaritas are not one of them. You need that salt around the rim to balance out the flavors!
- Use homegrown produce. Strawberries, basil, and jalapeños all increase in flavor when grown in a home garden (versus buying at the grocery store). If you can, use harvests from your garden! If not, be sure to buy super fresh produce from the store.
SPICY STRAWBERRY BASIL MARGARITACourse: DrinksCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
This Strawberry Basil Margarita is the perfect mix of sweet, sour, and spicy. It provides a spicy kick with sliced jalapeños and jalapeño simple syrup.
2 oz Casamigos Reposado tequila (or your favorite reposado tequila)
1 oz fresh lime juice
2 large strawberries
.5 oz basil (or jalapeño) simple syrup
4 basil leaves
2 jalapeño slices
2 dashes bitters
Cocktail garden salt, for rimming the glass
Wet rim of rocks glass with lime or lemon wedge and dip into salt mixture.
- Combine all ingredients into tin shaker.
- Muddle basil/strawberries.
- Add ice, shake vigorously and fine strain into rimmed rocks glass.
- Add fresh ice and garnish.
Add to It
While we totally support stand-alone cocktails, we also love to eat with our drinks. Here are our favorite dishes and snacks to eat with this strawberry basil margarita.
Our traditional guacamole recipe is a classic addition to a marg night. Eat it with tortilla chips or sliced veggies — both ways are delicious.
For dessert, try this Spanish churro recipe! It’s a bit of work, but a massive hit with everyone we’ve ever given it to. The dunking chocolate in this recipe is so tasty, we’ll eat it alone.
If you’re drinking with your meal, these creative taco recipes are a fun way to eat within the cuisine, but think outside the box. They’re perfect for the at home chef!
Other Margarita Recipes to Try
This strawberry basil margarita is only one of Gardenuity’s famous garden-inspired margarita recipes. Try out our entire list below.