Summer salads are here, and they are brighter than ever. We’ve gone cross-continental and created our three favorite summer salad recipes, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. So no matter where your travels take you, you’ll be chomping on something tasty.
California Style Grilled Veggie Salad
West Coast summers immediately remind us of the beaming sun, cool vibes, seafood, and delicious local produce. Specifically, avocado steals the show on the California coast and makes an exciting statement in this summer salad recipe. The fresh and light flavor makes this California Style Salad one of our absolute favorites.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 ear corn, husk, and silk removed
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- ½ head butter lettuce, torn
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 6 colossal shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp honey
- 2 cups tortilla strips
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, add romaine lettuce, corn, zucchini, and shrimp. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Grill the romaine lettuce, turning occasionally until tender and browned in some spots — about 2 minutes. Chop lettuce and add it to the salad bowl.
- Grill the corn and zucchini until tender— about 2 minutes on all sides. Remove kernels from the corn and add to salad bowl. Chop zucchini into 1/2 inch pieces and add to bowl.
- Grill shrimp until meat is opaque and cooked through — about 2-3 minutes each side. Let cool slightly and cut into 1/2 inch piece. Add shrimp, butter lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and honey until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and toss until coated.
- Garnish with tortilla strips
Texas Style Caesar Salad
Ask a Texan, and they’ll tell you Texas is the center of America. Texans are proud of their creamy textures and southern-style flavors. With sweet white corn, jalapeño, and a creamy dressing, this Caesar Salad is a southern take on the classic. Perfect for warm summer evenings and family gatherings.
- ⅔ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese + extra for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups salad croutons
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ears sweet white corn, kernels removed
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- Purèe cilantro, yogurt, red wine vinegar, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shallots, anchovy fillets, and garlic cloves in processor until smooth. Gradually add olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Toss with dressing, garish with extra Parmesan cheese
New York Deli Style Salad
We can’t finish a summer salad recipes collection without an east coast deli-style salad. It’s an elegant “everything but the kitchen sink” recipe, and it’s absolutely delicious. You’ll clean out your pantry and have a tasty dish for park picnics.
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 3 cups Bibb lettuce
- 8 Romaine leaves
- Grape tomatoes halved
- Kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- Pitted mixed olives
- Sliced bell pepper
- Hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Cheese, grated
- Fresh Mozzarella, cubed
- Cucumbers, halved and sliced
- Asparagus, blanched and sliced into pieces
- Sunflower seeds
- Sliced almonds
- Dressing of your choice
- Mix all ingredients together, toss with your favorite dressing.
- Chop into smaller pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper
Missing your hometown? Send us your favorite summer salad recipes from your favorite summer location. @gardenuity