Pizza is the perfect plate to get experimental with because everything tastes delicious on a homemade pizza pie. The next time you have extra herbs or veggies in your garden, have a pizza night to see who can come up with the most creative concoction.
Sure to be delicious, and nutritious, the patio garden pizza is the perfect dish for a date night or dinner with the family. This week, we asked our team at Gardenuity what their favorite pizza toppings were. Better yet, they also shared with us their favorite spots to get a great slice of pie.
Toppings Fresh from your Garden
If you think a fresh herb or veggie will taste good on your next pizza pie creation, you’re right. Take a look at this list of some of our favorite garden-fresh pizza toppings that are trending this summer.
- Jalapeños are the perfect addition to your next homemade pizza. They add just the right amount of heat without the seeds; if you like spice, chop up the whole veggie and throw it on your pie.
- Jalapeños taste delicious if you bake them in the oven with your pizza. You can also top your pizza off with chopped jalapeños for that fresh crunch.
- Fresh Heirloom Tomato
- Tomato season is upon us, and oh are we loving it. Tomato sauce is a classic pizza staple, so adding fresh tomatoes to your pizza is another step in the right direction.
- Heirloom variety tomatoes are a great fall harvest tomato, and they are also an excellent pizza topper. Pink heirloom tomatoes, such as the Brandywine, have a slight sweetness to them, so when paired with a bitter flavor (like balsamic vinaigrette), the product is an absolute delicacy.
- To learn more about getting your fall tomatoes ready for your next pizza night, take a look at our Fall Tomato Growing Guide.
- Beets are a super fun and delicious topping for your garden fresh pizza creation. Beets have an earthy and slightly bitter flavor, and they taste great paired with other salty flavors. Check out this mouth-watering beet pizza recipe from Thursday Night Pizza.
- Beets are another fantastic addition to your fall vegetable garden. Get to growing!
Gardenuity Team’s Favorite Pizza Toppings
Favorite Toppings: spinach and jalapeños
Favorite Pizza Place: My favorite place to get pizza is at home, Scott Letier makes the best homemade pizza on the planet.
Favorite Toppings: tomatoes and basil. (Or on a special day: olives, caramelized onion, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, red bell pepper. And maybe a bit of bacon added, for the fun of it)
Favorite Toppings: mozzarella, garlic, dressed arugula, shaved prosciutto and parmesan cheese.
Favorite Pizza Place: Cane Rosso
Favorite Toppings: jalapenos
Favorite Pizza Place: Capisis (fun fact, they make a great veggie pizza without cheese!)
Favorite Toppings: whatever the family chooses!
Favorite Pizza Place: Drake’s Hollywood. I recently discovered the pizza at Drake’s Hollywood on Lovers Lane in Dallas. It is not a pizza restaurant, but they serve delicious pizza; made to order with so many delicious toppings.
Favorite Toppings: classic cheese, homemade tomato sauce, and tomatoes and herbs from the garden.
Favorite Pizza Place: The Kitchen at Bernardo Winery– a hidden gem in San Diego, CA. Their menu was created with the owner’s Sicilian family recipes and many ingredients are grown on the winery grounds. Their pizzas are made fresh and cooked in a wood-fired pizza oven.
Favorite Toppings: mozzarella and fresh basil
Favorite Pizza Place: Bufalina in Austin (fun fact: they have a classic neapolitan style pizza in a small cozy restaurant!)
Favorite Toppings: bell peppers, black olives, and red onion
Favorite Pizza Place: Greenville Avenue Pizza Company and Domino’s.
Favorite Toppings: basil and pepperoni
Favorite Toppings: Basil, Parmesan, and it has to have fresh tomato sauce
Favorite Pizza Place: New York Pizza & Pasta
You have all of the inspiration, now it’s time to get in the kitchen and whip up your next pizza pie creation. If you want even more information about how to use the herbs and veggies from your garden, take a look at these 5 Nutritious Pizza Toppings for the Healthiest Pizza Ever.