One of the best days of the year is approaching quickly. National Margarita Day. It is hard to describe the perfection and umami of flavor that is the margarita. The classic margarita is made with fresh lime juice, high-quality tequila, and a little bit of triple sec in its purest form.
Despite the untouched perfection of the classic margarita, mixologists and common folk alike, have embraced the challenge to make the margarita a little bit more interesting, decadent, and unique.
In honor of the drinks of all drinks, we are rounding up classics and new flavors alike for you to stir up, shake, and drink. Bring out the tequila because we are having a fiesta!
- Strawberry Basil Margaritas: If the classic marg is just a little bit too bitter for your liking, this drink is for you. Add some natural sweetness with strawberries and enhance the flavors that you love with the basil. This is a drink that will transport you right by a pool in the sun!
- Skinny Margarita: Skinny margaritas are arguably the margarita in their purest form. Made with just lime juice, tequila, and a splash of orange juice or agave, this is the margarita for all of the people out there who want to experience the fresh, untouched flavors of nature.
- Watermelon Mint Margarita: Do you remember the Sonic Slushies you would drink as a kid? Consider this the adult version. This recipe is hydrating, refreshing, and crisp, leaving you feeling light and airy. No hangovers here!
- Virgin Spicy Margarita: Spicy margaritas are all of the rage these days. Add a bit of tajin, jalapenos, or even chili powder and you’ve got yourself a drink with some teeth. But, why should alcohol have to have all of the fun? If you are taking a break from tequila, try this Virgin Spicy Marg. Easy, simple, crisp, and delicious – the spice level is in your hands.
- Basil MojitoRita: If a margarita and a mojito had a baby, this would be their child. Combining these two classic drinks adds a little bit of vibrancy to the otherwise simple acidity of the marg. Two is better than one, so try this drink out for two of your favorites!
Have you ever wondered who and where the margarita originated from? No one knows for sure, but the Smithsonian Magazine has a few theories.
- Tijuana, 1938: Carlos “Danny” Herrera claims that he is the original mastermind behind the margarita due to his efforts to please a demanding and closeminded actress named Majorie King. In this theory, Danny decided to combine the ingredients of a tequila shot into a more enjoyable drink for the woman who detested any alcohol that wasn’t tequila.
- Dallas, 1948: Margarita Sames allegedly created a drink, that she named after herself, for her gatherings of friends at her vacation home in Mexico. Due to her wide set of uppity social circles, Tommy Hilton was included in her margarita vacations and allegedly added the drink to the menus of his hotels.
- Jose Cuervo, 1945: Although Margarita Sames is sure she is the founder, the tagline for Jose Cuervo, several years before her alleged infamous drink, boasted the line, “Margarita: it’s more than a girl’s name.” Seems fishy to me…
- Dallas, 1971: Mariano Martinez isn’t claiming the original idea of the margarita, however, he does take the award for the first frozen margarita. The frozen margarita is a staple, especially in Texas, so we would like to thank Mr. Martinez for his service to the Dallas Margarita Society.
However, you choose to celebrate, do it wisely!