Beer lovers, we’ve got a cocktail for you. The michelada is a traditional Mexican cerveza preparada and a way to add a little variety to the oldest alcohol in the world.
Our version is the spicy michelada — in our version of the spicy michelada recipe we’ve added a bit of jalapeños and rim with chipotle sea salt for extra flavor. Serve it at game night or alongside your favorite weekend tacos.
What is a Michelada?
A michelada is a traditional cerveza preparada — usually chilled. A cerveza preparada is a Mexican drink with beer at its base, mixed with tomato juice and hot sauce or salsa.
A Michelada traditionally uses beer, lime juice, assorted sauces, tomato juice, and a chili pepper — and a bit of salt to rim the glass. This Michelada recipe contains Mexican beer, clamato juice, lime juice, tequila, and a touch of jalapeño.
How to Make a Michelada
To make a Michelada, first, muddle your jalapeño at the base of your glass and add ice. Then, pour in the remaining ingredients and stir.
Don’t forget to add the lime wedge garnishes!
Optional- Add salt or chipotle salt around the rim of your glass.
Best Michelada Beer
Using quality Mexican beer makes all the difference in your Michelada. Each beer slightly changes the flavor of your michelada. Here are a few of our favorite beers, ranked.
- Modelo Especial. A balanced light mexican beer. Modelo offers a light, refreshing michelada with a burst of lime flavor and spice.
- Pacifico. A touch of jalapeño flavor. Go light on the tomato juice when making a michelada with Pacifico.
- Corona Extra. Creates a less spicy, more well-balanced michelada.
- Tecate. Light body and a clean finished for a mild michelada.
- Bohemia Clásica. Darker and heavier than the other options and has a bit of nuttiness to it.
Best Michelada Mix
A key ingredient in a Michelada is the tomato juice. While you can certainly use any variation of tomato juice, clamato juice is our preferred michelada mix. Clamato juice offers strong and sweet flavor that perfectly balances out your cocktail.
What is Clamato?
Clamato juice is a mix of clam and tomato flavor, with a few spices blended in. Although it may not sound tasty on its own, it’s widely used in Michelada Recipes and Bloody Marys because of its strong sweet flavor.
- Reconstituted tomato juice concentrate
- Dried clam broth
- Various spices
Spicy Michelada RecipeCourse: CocktailsCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
This Classic Michelada Recipe provides a kick thanks to the addition of Chipotle Sea Salt & Jalapenos. It’s a classic Mexican Cocktail that’s a classic for a reason.
Chipotle sea salt
2-3 jalapeno slice
1 oz Sauza Tequila
2 oz clamato juice
½ oz freshly squeezed lime juice
3-4 oz Mexican beer
- Pour chipotle sea salt on a saucer. Wet the rim of your glass, then carefully dip rim into salt, coating thoroughly. Set aside.
- Muddle jalapeño slices at bottom of your glass and add ice. Then, pour in remaining ingredients and stir together until mixed.
- Garnish with lime and enjoy!
A chelada is much more simple than a michelada, containing only lime juice and a Mexican beer served in a chilled glass (rimmed with salt, of course). A michelada, on the other hand, contains these ingredients plus tomato juice and an assortment of sauces to add spice and flavor.
While you can get necessary vitamins from tomato juice, a michelada isn’t necessarily a healthy drink. Opt for a more calorie-friendly cocktail by using light beer!
Much like a bloody mary, a michelada can help cure hangovers. Tomato juice settles the stomach, salt replaces lost electrolytes, and the beer reduces body aches from your hangover.
No, they are different. Although they contain similar ingredients, a michelada uses Mexican beer at its base rather than vodka. Additionally, a michelada is known for a kick of spice!