Meatloaf sometimes gets a bad rap, but this recipe is overturning all stereotypes.
The warm, astringent flavor of fresh sage leaves brings out the best in beef.
Combine the classic ingredients of meatloaf, bake for an hour, and voila! You have an easy, filling, and delicious option for family dinner.
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp pepper & ½ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup ketchup, chili sauce, or barbecue sauce
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients together, except the ketchup.
- Spread mixture in an ungreased loaf pan, 8½ by 4 ½ by 2½ or 9 by 5 by 3 inches.
- Spread ketchup, chili sauce, or barbeque sauce over the top.
- Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of the loaf.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until the thermometer reads 160°F.