Flavored simple syrups are a delicious and tasty way to add excitement to any drink — cocktail, teas, sodas, and more. Here’s how to make a garden-inspired flavored simple syrup, plus 4 recipes that use a delicious homemade syrup.
Next time you’re setting up for your creative cocktail party or providing beverages for your book club, consider putting simple syrups out. Flavored simple syrups are a quick and, well, simple option to add sophistication and innovation to the occasion. We always have one or two on hand — they make lovely gifts and can last up to 30 days in the refrigerator.
In our opinion, flavored simple syrups work best if your additives are fresh, organic, and home-harvested. Flavoring from your garden brings fresh flavor and unique combinations to the table.
Our favorite simple syrups to have on hand right now include:
- Jalapeño Simple Syrup
- Rosemary and Cinnamon Simple Syrup
- Double Mint Simple Syrup
- Sage Simple Syrup
- Lemon Thyme Simple Syrup
So, What is Simple Syrup?
Simple syrups sweet flavoring components for your drinks. They’re most commonly used in cocktails, but also found in teas and ‘dirty’ sodas.
Being able to harvest your own herbs for your simple syrup makes them taste so much sweeter (literally and figuratively). Check out our cocktail herb container garden kit, the sill-sized indoor inbox of herb gardens, and more to see how you can harvest fresh flavorings soon.
How to Make a Flavored Simple Syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine equal parts water and sugar.
- Gauge amount based on your preferences, knowing that it will last up to 30 days.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved — about 2 minutes.
- Add your herbs, flavoring as desired. As a guide: for 1 cup water & 1 cup sugar, use anywhere from 0.5 oz to 1.5 oz of herbs/additional flavoring.
- Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 30-60 minutes until cool.
- Strain into a jar and seal.
Simple syrup will keep, refrigerated, for up to 30 days.
Simple Syrup Cocktails
Here are our 4 favorite cocktails to enjoy with our flavored simple syrup.
Tip: You can follow these links to reach the recipes!
For additional ways to enjoy your simple syrups, visit our garden-inspired cocktail recipes.