A taco favorite that is almost on a weekly rotation at the office. Fresh, seasonal, and healthy. The smoky flavor of the romesco salsa mixed with the charred chicken and fresh arugula makes this a well-balanced winning combination. (An added bonus is knowing how nutritious arugula and fresh herbs are and how easy they are to grow with Gardenuity.)
Grilled Chicken Tacos Topped with Arugula and Romesco SalsaCourse: MainCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Medium
Recipe Provided By: Madison Letier
- Romesco Salsa
3 medium-size red bell peppers
2 fresh tomatoes
¾ cup toasted pecan halves
½ bunch fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
2 large garlic cloves
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon chili powder pepper
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
- The Chicken
4 Chicken breasts
2 teaspoons kosher salt
- The Toppings
- The Tortillas
The tacos can be served in flour or corn tortillas or in your favorite crispy taco shell.
- Romesco Salsa
- Preheat the oven to broil with your oven rack positioned close to the heat. Place the bell peppers, jalapeno, and tomatoes on a baking sheet and broil, turning a couple of times until charred on all sides.
- Transfer charred peppers and jalapeno to a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap for 30 minutes to help with the pepper skin removal.
- Remove the skin from the tomato, quarter, and set aside. Remove the skin of the peppers.
- Place the peppers, tomato, pecans, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, paprika, and chili powder in a blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add the oil and mix until smooth, stir in salt.
- Romesco Salsa can be make and stored in the refrigerator up to five days.
- Chicken Marinade
- Place your chicken breasts in a bowl and cover with Romesco Salsa as a marinade for at least 1-2 hours.
- Grilling The Chicken
- Grill the chicken for the best flavor.
- Making The Tacos
- Chop the grilled chicken and place on top of your preferred taco (tortilla or crispy shell) Top with fresh Arugula and Romesco Salsa and your favorite cheese, avocado slices, and a squeeze of fresh lime.