This sushi bowl is all about fresh Asian flavors. With freshly harvested cilantro, salmon, and veggies galore, this bowl is simultaneously healthy, filling, and easy to assemble (unlike its more complicated cousin sushi).
With a Japanese inspired divine soy-ginger recipe atop, it’s a tasty and sophisticated option for dinner dates and dinner parties.
Cilantro Salmon Sushi BowlCuisine: Japanese
Cilantro salmon, avocado, nori sheets, veggies, and a tasty soy ginger dressing make up this salmon sushi bowl. Plus, a sriracha mayonnaise to top it all off.
- For Salmon:
1 salmon filet
¼ cup freshly harvested cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp butter
Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
- For Sushi Rice:
1 cup white sushi rice
3 cups water
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
½ Tbsp salt
- For Soy Ginger Dressing:
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
¾ cup olive oil
⅓ cup rice vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
¼ cup water
- For Sriracha Mayonnaise:
½ cup mayonnaise
1-2 Tbsp sriracha, to taste
- For the Bowl:
1 avocado, sliced
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
4 sheets nori, cut into strips
1 carrot, thinly sliced
- Cook the salmon:
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet with the skin side down.
- Squeeze lemon over filet. Sprinkle cilantro, salt, and pepper over the top. Thinly slice butter and spread pieces evenly across the top of the salmon.
- Bake for about 7 minutes (depending on thickness). Turn oven up to a broil and cook until crispy — about 5-7 minutes more.
- Cook the sushi rice:
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Add rice to 3 cups water in a pot on high heat, stirring until water boils. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until water has evaporated — about 20 minutes.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt together. Heat in a microwave until sugar/salt are dissolved and pour mixture over ice. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the soy ginger dressing:
- Combine the garlic, ginger, olive oil, rice vinegar, honey, and water in a jar. Seal with lid and shake well.
- Remove lid and heat in microwave for 1 minutes to dissolve the honey. Let cool and set aside.
- Make the sriracha mayonnaise:
- Combine mayonnaise and sriracha together. Set aside.
- Create your bowl:
- Add sushi rice to a bowl. Top with salmon, avocado, cucumber slices, nori, and carrot slices.
- Drizzle soy ginger dressing and sriracha mayonnaise on top, to taste.