This cocktail recipe is a great one for everyday drinking. It’s simple to make, with a pleasingly bright flavor that feels upscale, yet approachable.
Blood Orange Cocktail with Grapefruit and Herbs RecipeDifficulty: Easy
Grapefruit, blood orange, rosemary, and thyme create the main flavors here. Layered over a base of vodka and simple syrup, this cocktail is entirely exciting — and yet so so simple to make.
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 large sprig of rosemary
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
2 blood oranges, juiced
1 ruby red grapefruit, juiced
3 oz vodka
- How to Make the Simple Syrup:
- Combine thyme, rosemary, sugar, and water in a small pot.
- Let simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Mixture should almost be boiling.
- Remove and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
NOTE: The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Strain the mixture and remove the herbs.
- Store in fridge or let cool and use immediately.
- How to create the Cocktail:
- Fill two medium glasses two-thirds full with ice.
- Juice the citrus into a container.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp of the (cooled) simple syrup and the vodka.
- Divide evenly and pour into your glasses.
- Garnish with orange slices and herbs.