It’s prime tomato harvesting season, which means you’re probably pulling in a haul of ripe, delicious tomatoes. So what to do with all those red beauties? This tomato pasta salad is the perfect way to use up your fresh harvest. With peppery arugula, sweet tomatoes, and rich balsamic flavor, this tomato pasta salad is no ordinary side. Make it in bulk and use it at your next lunch party — it’ll be an all-around hit!
- 1 ½ Tbsp sea salt
- 1 lb penne pasta
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar + more for drizzling at the end if needed
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups arugula
- Fill a large pot of water ⅔ of the way full and add salt. Bring water to a boil and then carefully add in the pasta.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until cooked al dente — about 8-10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ⅓ cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add cherry tomatoes and toss in the oil mixture.
- Set aside in refrigerator until ready for use.
- When the pasta is done, drain the boiling water and rinse under cold water to cool it down and keep it from continuing to cook. Drain well.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl and pour the tomatoes over the top. Add arugula and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve cold or at room temperature and enjoy!