This pepper and pumpkin soup is a delicious appetizer. Pumpkin and pepper make the iconic cold-weather flavor. Then, oregano, thyme, and sage create full flavor complexity in this simple soup. It’s a perfect fall soup and tastes best with herbaceous garnishes and toasted french bread on the side.
Pumpkin, Pepper, & Fall Herb Soup
This rich pumpkin and squash soup recipe is a flavorful fall option. It has a longer cook time but is quite simple, requiring little attention throughout.
1 sugar pumpkin, butternut squash or kabocha squash
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped red or green peppers
1 ½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped carrots
6 crushed garlic gloves
4 thyme springs
1 sage sprig
1 oregano sprig
¾ teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons whole milk
Yellow peppers chopped for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
pumpkininto quarters; discard seeds. Place on a baking sheet, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender — about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool until easy to handle. Remove & discard skin.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups (about 15 ounces) cooked pumpkin; reserve remaining pumpkin for another use.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium.
- Add onion, celery, peppers, carrots, garlic, thyme, sage, and oregano. Cook, stirring
occasionally,until vegetables are very tender — about 6 to 8 minutes. (Do not brown.) Add salt and turmeric. Cook, stirring often — about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and 1 ½ cups cooked pumpkin, Bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes. Remove and discard herb sprigs.
- Place half of
pumpkinmixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape). Secure lidon blender, and place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process until mixture is very smooth — about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining pumpkin mixture. Then, stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Whisk together sour cream and milk in a small bowl.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 shallow bowls. Drizzle with sour cream mixture.