Grapefruit and sage is the flavor combo made for brunchin’ on.
This chilled cocktail’s fizz contains delicious hints of tart citrus and warm, astringent sage.
Light and refreshing, this recipe will be the star of your weekend brunch.
Pair it with eggs and waffles, and revel in the morning relaxation!
For the simple syrup:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 bunches fresh sage leaves
For the cocktail:
- Pink grapefruit juice
- Sage simple syrup
- Angostura bitters
- Ice cubes
- Champagne or other sparkling white wine
- Fresh sage leaves
- To make the simple syrup, combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture starts to simmer and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the two bunches fresh sage and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Set aside and let cool.
- Once the syrup is room temperature, remove and discard the sage. Transfer the simple syrup to a clean re-sealable container, and store it in your refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- For a single cocktail, vigorously shake 3 oz (6 Tbsp) grapefruit juice, 1½ oz (3 Tbsp) of sage simple syrup, and 2-3 dashes of bitters in a shaker with ice.
- Strain into a glass with fresh ice.
- Top with ½ cup champagne.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves and serve immediately.