Get your game day celebration on with some delicious green salads. Whether you’re preparing them for an appetizer or a meal, they will be sure to have everyone coming back for second servings. Bonus points if you use your fall garden harvest!
Balsamic Roasted Beet & Arugula Salad Recipe
Recipe By Barefoot Contessa
We love our fall gardens, and most of all, we love creating delicious meals (like this one!) with our fall garden harvest. Beets and arugula are some of the best veggies to plant in your autumn vegetable garden. Try it out; now is the perfect time to get your beets and arugula planted.
This delicious Balsamic Roasted Beet and Arugula salad recipe, by barefoot contessa, will have your mouth watering as you prepare it. Take a look below.
- 8 medium-size beets, tops removed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted Marcona almonds, toasted
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Wrap the beets individually in aluminum foil and place them on a sheet pan. Roast them for 50 minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size, until they are tender.
- Unwrap each beet and set aside for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the beets with a small, sharp knife
- Tip: Peel your beets over a piece of parchment paper to avoid staining your cutting board.
- While the beets are warm, cut each one in half and then each half into 4 to 6 wedges and place them in a large mixing bowl. As you’re cutting the beets, toss them with half of the vinaigrette, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and set aside.
- Place the arugula in a separate bowl, and toss it with enough vinaigrette to moisten.
- Put the arugula on a serving platter and then arrange the beets, almonds, and goat cheese on top.
- Drizzle with additional vinaigrette, if desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Italian Salad with Basil Dressing
Recipe By Cuisine at Home
There is nothing like a classic Italian style salad to feed you during your classic game-day festivities. Enjoy this fresh salad topped off with a homemade basil dressing. Use your fresh, end-of-summer basil and parsley harvests from your container herb garden for extra satisfaction.
- For the basil dressing:
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. sugar
- Salt and black pepper for taste
- For the salad:
- 1 pkg. Italian salad blend (9 oz.)
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ⅓ cup sliced shallots
- Purée together the basil, parsley, garlic, oil, vinegar, oregano, and sugar in a mini food processor; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together the salad blend, tomatoes, carrots, and shallots with vinaigrette.
- Drizzle dressing on top as preferred.
The Ultimate Pizza Salad
Pizza is a game day staple, so get creative with it! Transform your favorite pizza toppings into a chopped salad to keep everyone cheering. Everyone has a favorite pizza topping, and this pizza chopped salad is a fantastic way to appeal to everyone’s tastes.
Here is a list of our favorite pizza toppings that can be used as ingredients:
- Chopped arugula
- Shredded romaine
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Grilled Chicken
- Sliced Ham
- Chop up all of your desired ingredients
- Toss in or drizzle dressing on top, as preferred
- Try serving with a side of honey mustard, ranch or try getting crafty with your own healthy dressing creation.