Who needs chicken when you can make this vegetarian-friendly Eggplant Parmesan?
Eggplant’s meaty, savory flavor plays the starring role in this unique recipe. Paired with some garlic bread or crisp bruschetta, it’s perfect for a hearty family dinner!
- 3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (16 oz) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in breadcrumbs.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes on each side.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with spaghetti sauce. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Then, sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown—about 35 minutes.