This warm chorizo kale soup is an absolute hit with the family. Chickpeas and kale keep it grounded in healthy-eating — despite the sausage — and you’ll find it filling, delicious, and flavorful.
Nicely wilted, your freshly harvested kale really shines in this soup. Plus garlic, bay leaves, and a touch of cayenne to make it exciting.
This chorizo and kale soup recipe requires quite a bit of prep work because of the chickpeas, relying on an overnight soak and an hour and a half cook time. If this is too much work for you, buy your chickpeas cooked! Then just throw in and simmer until ready.
Kale and Chorizo Soup with ChickpeasCourse: SoupsCuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Hard
Chickpeas, chorizo, and kale: a healthy carb, protein, and leafy green. This soup is full of flavor and substance you can eat all winter!
1 ½ cup dry chickpeas
1 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
6 oz cured chorizo, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp cooking sherry
2 bay leaves
1 bunch kale, shredded
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
- Rinse chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Cover with water and let stand overnight.
- Drain contents of the pot. Refill with water and add turmeric. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cook chickpeas until tender — 1 to 1½ hours.
- Drain and return to stove.
- Place oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender — about 3 minutes. Add chorizo and garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add water, chicken broth, sherry, and bay leaves to the chickpeas. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Add kale and seasoning. When kale begins to wilt, remove from heat.
- Serve warm!