We love hummus. If you had to choose a food to survive off for the rest of your life, we would hope hummus comes close to the top of the list. Made with the mighty chickpea, a protein powerhouse, this Israeli staple is made best from scratch and with lots of pure, thick, quality olive oil. Transport yourself to the Middle East with this delicious and easy hummus. Hummus is a great topping for salads, dip for pita, and even a spread for pizzas or tacos.
- Add some paprika or blend in some red pepper to create a little bit more of a spicy hummus
- Spread the hummus out thin on a large plate, and drizzle fresh olive oil, paprika, a few chickpeas, and parsley over the top for a more authentic way to serve your dish.
- This is great to make at the beginning of the week and use for a dip for chips, pita, or veggies, toppings to sandwiches, and dressings for salads.
HummusCourse: SidesCuisine: DipsDifficulty: Easy
Credit: Cookie and Kate
1 can chickpeas
Juice of two lemons
1 medium-to-large clove garlic, roughly chopped
½ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
½ cup tahini
2 to 4 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, combine the lemon juice, garlic and salt. Process until the garlic is very finely chopped, then let the mixture rest so the garlic flavor can mellow, ideally 10 minutes or longer.
- Add the tahini to the food processor and blend until the mixture is thick and creamy, stopping to scrape down any tahini stuck to the sides and bottom of the processor as necessary.
- While running the food processor, drizzle in 2 tablespoons of ice water. Scrape down the food processor, and blend until the mixture is ultra smooth, pale and creamy. (If your tahini was extra-thick to begin with, you might need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons more ice water.)
- Add the cumin and the drained chickpeas to the food processor. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until the mixture is super smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as necessary, about 2 minutes. Add more ice water by the tablespoon if necessary to achieve a super creamy texture.