In our opinion, this Goat Cheese Tart Recipe is simply a vehicle for your freshly harvested yellow tomatoes…But it’s a dang good one.
In this recipe, the sweet acidity of your tomatoes cuts through the tang and slight sourness of goat cheese. Add it to a flaky pastry shell, and you in for a lip-licking savory treat.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup chilled butter
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- 4 oz log of goat cheese, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives, plus a bit for garnish
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls of yellow tumbling tom tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. To make the tart shell, place flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cut up butter into small chunks and add to the food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks coarse and sandy.
- Sprinkle water into mixture and pulse until the dough begins to bunch up into a ball—about 1-2 minutes. Remove the dough from food processor and flatten into a disk.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle ⅛” thick. Transfer dough to a 9-inch tart shell. Lightly press along the bottom and sides, and trim the extra.
- Prick bottom of dough with a fork. Line shell with foil, and weigh down with dried beans or pie weights. Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights (beans) and continue baking until golden—about 6-8 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- To make the filling, whip together the goat cheese and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl with a hand mixer. Add the chives, basil, and garlic, and mix. Season with black pepper, to taste.
- Spread cheese mixture in an even layer along the bottom of the tart shell. Arrange tomato slices in layers over the cheese.
- Garnish with fresh chives.
If you enjoy this Goat Cheese Tart Recipe make sure to check out this healthy and still tasty homemade pizza recipe!